[NTLK] Charging via the Interconnect port

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Tue Oct 10 10:04:14 PDT 2023

> On Oct 10, 2023, at 18:10, Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve been tinkering with the idea of charging via a single sync cable. Thanks to Matthias’s work, I’ve got a prototype interconnect connector, and thanks to Pawel and others I’ve soldered together a serial to usb adapter, and now the final piece of the puzzle is to solder on a voltage regulator. I’ve been using this document to help:
>
> https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/computing/apple/newton/n2-nidg.pdf#page8
>
> My problem is that it doesn’t list the charging voltage anywhere. I would assume it would be 7.4v same as the Newton adapter, but I’d like not to fry the Newt by accident. Does anyone know?

Ah, good to hear that you got the plug working. Did you manage to get the sertial communication up too?

As for the voltage, I am pretty sure the pin2/pin14 IIRC are the power and charge current for the 4 cell machine, and I assume that they are the same pins as the one in the power connector. You could measure that with a multimeter, and the pins between the power pin and the interconnect port pin 2 should have close to 0 Ohm.

I know that for the internal modem connector, the power pins are unfused and connected directly to the battery, but that is noted in the same serias of docs multiple times. So it is likely that would have done the same on the interconnect port if there was something to note. They didn't, so I am pretty sure it's just a normal power/charge port.

But no guarantees from my side ;-) .