[NTLK] Charging via the Interconnect port

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Tue Oct 10 09:35:49 PDT 2023

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 12:10 PM Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve been tinkering with the idea of charging via a single sync cable.
> Thanks to Matthias’s work, I’ve got a prototype interconnect connector, and
> thanks to Pawel and others I’ve soldered together a serial to usb adapter,
> and now the final piece of the puzzle is to solder on a voltage regulator.
> I’ve been using this document to help:
>
> https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/computing/apple/newton/n2-nidg.pdf#page8

Relieved to see that this is on UNNA.org too!

> My problem is that it doesn’t list the charging voltage anywhere. I would
> assume it would be 7.4v same as the Newton adapter, but I’d like not to fry
> the Newt by accident. Does anyone know?

We discussed this a bit toward the end of the Global Newton User Group
(GNUG) #11. Around 2:21:47 is when we started looking at a voltage chart
(from a different document) and discussing exactly this topic:

<https://youtu.be/_UyT15Usf_M?si=_YCDonPrxmEyivup&t=8507>

There's some valuable information before & after that point too, but please
note that we were looking at the "N2 Power Adapter Designer's Guide", not
the "N2 Newton Interconnect Designer's Guide", so there are likely
differences:

<http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/n2platform/n2-padg.pdf>

Hopefully others can clarify here. :)

Morgan