[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 118, Issue 5

Noah Leon moosefuel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 15:29:09 PDT 2023

Hi Matthias!

> On Oct 10, 2023, at 15:00, newtontalk-request at newtontalk.net wrote:
>
> Ah, good to hear that you got the plug working. Did you manage to get the sertial communication up too?

So I bit the bullet and tried wiring up the power pins, and it works! I was able to charge the Newton with 7v over USB to a voltage regulator connected to the 4-cell power pins via your connector. So that’s great. Thanks Morgan for pointing me towards that document, I had googled it and not found it.

However I’m not able to get the serial board working, it shows up in the Apple System Report, but I must have it wired wrong, since I don’t get any communication.

I’m sort of working with three different documents to figure out the pinout:

http://www.unna.org/incoming/interconnect.html
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/n2platform/n2-padg.pdf
http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-incredible-shrinking-newton.html

This is the serial board I’m using:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CCF3C1YF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I’m just trying to figure out how to match this board to the existing pins.

Noah