[NTLK] Having trouble with dates

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Tue Nov 14 06:22:33 PST 2023

> On Nov 14, 2023, at 11:58, Craig Bradley via NewtonTalk <newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:
>
> Now I can get articles off my eMate I am now having trouble with creations dates. The eMates’ date and time seem to be all over the place and every time I go to reset the date I can’t  get it to go more than 1 month at a time starting in 1995. It is a long way by the month to 2023. Newton Connection 3.0 has a current date and time setting function but it doesn’t seem to do anything. I have read a bit about the 2010 bug and the patch needed. Is this something I should explore? I seems to be fraught with damage as far as the Internet is concerned.
>
> Any advise?

Correct, you encounter the 2010 bug where the time in second can no longer be stored in the interger field in NewtonOS. Installing the patch will fix this, even when you reboot or run out of battery. If you are worried and have a lot of data on your eMate, you can make a backup first. Calendar entries before 2010 may move around.

You will have to renew the patch every 16 or so years.

 - Matthias