[NTLK] flash longevity question

Alan Grassia alan.grassia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 04:04:13 PDT 2022

Hello Dan and Newton Friends,

I recalled running across an article about this a while ago.  I found the article I read from 2015, which specifically talked about long-term SSD storage media.

Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days
https://www.zdnet.com/article/solid-state-disks-lose-data-if-left-without-power-for-just-a-few-days/

The article links to a presentation by Alvin Cox (Seagate) given at a JEDEC event.

JEDEC SSD Specifications Explained
Alvin Cox, Seagate Chairman, JC-64.8
https://www.jedec.org/sites/default/files/Alvin_Cox%20%5bCompatibility%20Mode%5d_0.pdf

It is an interesting read, but I don't think I have read any follow up articles or research in my work as an IT manager.  I do not have a good explanation for why we aren't seeing more discussion of this topic in the wider IT and technology circles.

That said, I pulled out my OMP and my Newton MessagePad 2000.  Both seemed to be working normally.

Once I plugged in power, the OMP came to life and I was able to use the Intel storage card to restore the last backup I made.  I restarted the OMP and it seemed to be working with a few minutes of poking around.  The MessagePad 2000 started up normally and all of the data in the device was still there.  It has been about a 9-12 months since I last used them. (They generally come out around iPhone launch day.)

I wouldn't call my test extensive by any stretch of the imagination, but antidotally, both of these Newtons appear fine for now.  Still, machines break - eventually - and I'm glad we have things like the Einstein emulator to keep things going when hardware fails.

Cheers,
Alan Grassia

OMP, MP2000, MP2100, eMate 300

Website: http://blog.smartphonefanatics.com