[NTLK] flash longevity question

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Tue Sep 13 20:38:56 PDT 2022

Modern flash memory chips use multi-level NAND gates packed hundreds (if
not thousands?) of times denser than the single-level cell, NOR-based
chips used for any Newton, or compatible linear flash cards. They're
different beasts designed to perform different jobs.  So I don't think
that the durability (ability to retain data when unpowered) of
high-density NAND flash can be compared to NOR flash from many
generations ago.

(6) is a good summary of the differences between NAND and NOR in terms
of reliability.  Particularly interesting tidbit from that article is
the note that reading from modern NAND devices can eventually disturb
adjacent cells and cause data loss; NOR does not have this problem.

And then I did a research deep-dive ...

NOR flash uses the same technologies as EEPROMs, except the latter can
be erased and reprogrammed at the byte level, whereas NOR flash can only
be erased at the device (chip) or block level. The durability of EEPROM
and NOR flash should therefore be comparable, as long as the same
silicon processes are used.

This PDF from Intel(1) in September 1994 talks about the differences
between Intel Series 1, Series 2, and Series 2+ flash cards.  All of
these use chips with "ETOX" or EEPROM Tunnel Oxide technology.

I found this paper(2) from Proceedings of IEEE in 1993 that examined the
reliability of different flash memory technologies, specifically ETOX
type as well as NAND type.  The paper cites another (3) which mentions
that ETOX-type flash was tested at 250°C for 168 hours and 10,000
erase/program cycles, and the stored voltage was still well within
readable parameters.

This "bake" test sounds like a less formal version of the standardized
reliability tests now performed on some flash chips. As far as I can
tell, no such standard existed in the 1990s, unfortunately, but with
today's standardized tests and some mathematical models, we can
extrapolate some expected durability performance.

For example, some test reports from STMicro state some data retention
safe values:

* more than 200 years at 55°C or less for high density EEPROMs (4)
* more than 40 years at 55°C or less for EEPROMs embedded within NFC
chips (5)

All this to say that temperature is probably the most important factor
when it comes to storage durability of flash.  Also, I'm not worried
about the data on any of my Newtons; I'm pretty confident I'll boot one
up in another ten years and everything will still be there.

-Victor

1)
http://intel-vintage-developer.eu5.org/DESIGN/FLCARD/APPLNOTS/29215801.PDF

2) https://www.slac.stanford.edu/exp/npa/misc/00220908.pdf