[NTLK] A new ROM board

Sylvain Pilet sylvain at pilet.net
Wed Feb 23 03:28:58 PST 2022

Congratulations on this project that you have been working on for a while now.

It's very interesting, it opens a lot of perspectives for the Newtons!
I like when you talk about being able to flash the French ROM, it's been more than 20 years that those who speak the language of Molière are waiting!
We will have to see first to make a patch for the Y2010 bug. Apart from that, the French Newton (Watson) are only a Newton 2x00 like the others.

If we could have the possibility to switch from a "Bank" to another with a boot manager, it would be wonderful, it would allow to have access to several different Systems, the original one and then those we will patch and why not an "Open" version of a NewtonOpenOS, I can already imagine everything we could do with it !

As for the extra free space in a NewtonOS Standard Bank, we can obviously load the basic tools like NewtonWorks, NIE (including mbedtls-NewtonOS and the most used drivers (RJ45 card, WaveLan...) except that it will also load the used RAM unless we can "virtually" freeze internal packages (is that possible ?).

> Le 23 févr. 2022 à 01:07, Matthias Melcher <m.melcher at robowerk.de> a écrit :
>
> At the moment, these cards need an external programmer hardware to write the operating system, but I plan to write some app that can update the ROM board while it is in the Newton without hardware.
>
> If anyone has ideas and can help, maybe even write some code, I'll be happy to send a card and a programmer to you.
>
> - Matthias

Flash a Rom while it is in use...
It's clear that I don't have the skills to actively participate in this part of the development. Afterwards, sometimes you think that you won't be able to do something until you try…

Sylvain Pilet

Web | http://message-pad.net
NPDS Tracker | http://messagepad.no-ip.org:3680
MessagePad Page | https://www.facebook.com/message.pad.net