[NTLK] A new ROM board

DXH dxh at woh.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 17:22:35 PST 2022

Congratulations Matthias!

This opens up many possibilities- not least of which is being able to fix all the nagging bugs from the original OS and, perhaps, stripping out the proprietary code to make a truly open source OS.

Removing the chip ID check would enable a wider range of Flash chips to be used now that the Intel chips are obsolete.

As far as the hardware is concerned, I see that 128Mb chips are still available (at least here in US). Mouser has them for $6.65 each. However, I think the 512Mb parts you used give you the option to bank switch alternate ROMs.

Good choice of NOR Flash. Faster reads and slower writes but ROM will infrequently be changed.

NAND Flash is great for program memory.

I like the idea of a software firmware update but I would also include a program header too. That way you have another option to program the board using a commercial programmer. Sure, the required signals are on the edge connector but, a handy header would be, well - handy.

If you have a spare board that you could send me I would appreciate it. I don’t need a programmer.

Again, great job!

Best,

PCBman

Sent from my iPad