[NTLK] Newton MessagePad 120 Question

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Thu Mar 11 21:14:38 PST 2021

Hey Todd,
Great to hear, and welcome aboard!  But I would like to point out the 120s have 1.3 or 2.0 Newton OS depending.  The later ones have 2.0, most are 1.3  You can't upgrade them though, well technically you can but you need a chip and soldering to do it.  Usually it is easier to find another unit if you really want to update it.  But there is a lot of good software for 1.3 if that is what you have.

There is a ton of software over at UNNA http://www.unna.org/  But you need to check and make sure what OS you have.  Most 1.3 software will work on 2.0 but not the other way around.  Of course it won't break anything if you do try to install 2.0 software on 1.3.

I don't own a Mac so I can't give you advice there, but I'm sure many of the others on the list will.

One thing you might want to do first is get the latest system update (again need to find out what version of the OS you have) and install that.  When all power is removed (including the button battery) they forget any system updates.  Unlike a 2x00 model, which never forgets them.

-Dan