[NTLK] Simulating the Newton: new version!

Daniel Parnell me at danielparnell.com
Wed Sep 30 20:50:59 PDT 2026


Hi All,

     I set Claude running last week to reverse engineer the whole Newton 
2x00 ROM to the point where I can run pretty much any Newton software I 
want. It has produced something that seems to work really well most of 
the time and no longer requires a ROM file to boot and run. It has 
extracted all the resources into a form that I can now make changes to 
the built in apps.  I should be pushing it up publicly soon if anyone is 
interested in taking a look.

Daniel

On 1/10/2026 7:51 am, Matthias Melcher wrote:
>
>> On 30. Sep 2026, at 19:59, Grant Hutchinson via NewtonTalk <newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Sep 29, 2026, at 6:35 PM, Matthias Melcher <m.melcher at robowerk.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> "NewtPlay" is a macOS app that loads and runs Newton packages.
>> This is very fun, Matthias.
>>
>> The documentation mentions that I should be able to drop a .newtonpkg on NewtPlay, but dropping only works only with .pkg and .nspkg files. However, I am able to open a .newtonpkg within the NewtPlay application.
>>
>> Oddly enough, when I double-click a .newtonpkg file, it launches 1Password ... I think my launch services database needs rebuilding.
> Yeah, there are many name conflicts. The easiest is to use .nspgk as the file name extension.
> This was specifically built to implement all calls needed by nBattleship 1.4 (in development/sources on Unna). Many other apps launch, but are unusable at this point. If there is sufficient interest in this tool, I can try to focus on another package that is worth supporting, increasing compatibility over time.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> https://newtontalk.net
> https://bitbang.social/@newtontalk
> https://bsky.app/profile/newtontalk.bsky.social


More information about the NewtonTalk mailing list