[NTLK] Hidden messages
DoctorClu
doctorclu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 19:17:39 PDT 2026
I love comments in code when I can see it.
I once looked at the code for Bubsy: Fractured Furry Tales for the Atari
Jaguar. At one point in the game there are these large cherries that
Hansel and Gretel would toss around, effectively "Cherry bombs". In the
remarks it was said "No lude comments please".
*Matthias Melcher* m.melcher at robowerk.de
<mailto:newtontalk%40newtontalk.net?Subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BNTLK%5D%20Hidden%20messages&In-Reply-To=%3C21673D1C-785D-4D3A-8B95-609F6CFF0EF9%40robowerk.de%3E>
/Fri Sep 25 07:41:39 PDT 2026/
* Previous message: [NTLK] Hidden messages
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/004024.html>
* Next message: [NTLK] Hidden messages
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/004026.html>
* *Messages sorted by:* [ date ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/date.html#4025>
[ thread ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/thread.html#4025>
[ subject ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/subject.html#4025>
[ author ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/author.html#4025>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, I have details. So when debugging code that was not meant to debug, the disassembler refuses to do its job to protect the code. "becausePeterSaidSo" is a hidden switch that tell the debugger to work on code that is not meant to be debugged. So it's a classic back door, presumably writte by Peter. ;-)
>/On 25. Sep 2026, at 16:32, Matthias Melcher <m.melcher at robowerk.de
<http://lists.newtontalk.net/mailman/listinfo/newtontalk>> wrote: />//>//>/When looking at the source code of the NS Debugger, one function
disassembles the Newton ByteCode. One argument to the disassembler is
'becausePeterSaidSo . I don't know the exact context, but this is not
the first time I find "programmer humor"./
More information about the NewtonTalk
mailing list