[NTLK] Hidden messages

Grant Hutchinson splorp at mac.com
Fri Sep 25 09:18:38 PDT 2026


> On Sep 25, 2026, at 8:41 AM, Matthias Melcher <m.melcher at robowerk.de> wrote:
> 
> Oh, I have details. So when debugging code that was not meant to debug, the disassembler refuses to do its job to protect the code. "becausePeterSaidSo" is a hidden switch that tell the debugger to work on code that is not meant to be debugged. So it's a classic back door, presumably writte by Peter. ;-)

There is a Peter Canning mentioned in the credits of the “NewtonScript Programming Language” and “Newton Toolkit User’s Guide” documents.

I love clever, little things like this.

For example, I just discovered there was a Minnesota Newton Developers user group named “EnsureInternal”.

What an odd name, I thought ...

Well, EnsureInternal is a NewtonScript function that makes sure an object exists entirely in internal RAM or ROM.

It helps avoid the old “Newton still needs the card you removed.” error message.

<https://www.newted.org/download/manuals/Newton_Still_Needs_The_Card_You_Removed.pdf>

g.




More information about the NewtonTalk mailing list