[NTLK] [Semi-OT] Converting classic Mac fonts into bitmaps on a modern machine?

Grant Hutchinson splorp at mac.com
Tue Sep 10 15:44:52 PDT 2024

> On Sep 9, 2024, at 8:38 PM, Vladislav Korotnev <vladkorotnev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Now, this morning I accidentally stumbled upon a photo of my long gone Mac
> Classic booting up and it hit me: I need to port the Chicago font on this
> thing!
>
> However, looking online, it seems there is no dump of that font as a bitmap
> plance anywhere — let alone of it's Russian version, which was probably
> fairly obscure.

I love this idea Vlad.

You might find a starting point to what you’re looking for here:

https://github.com/robhagemans/hoard-of-bitfonts

From the read me:

“The fonts in this repository are stored in the human-friendly text-based YAFF format. As such, the easiest way to view them is to open the text files directly. Alternatively, you can use monobit to render them to images or convert them to font formats supported by current operating systems.”

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Interweb Custodian