[NTLK] [Semi-OT] Converting classic Mac fonts into bitmaps on a modern machine?

Vladislav Korotnev vladkorotnev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 19:38:43 PDT 2024

Recently I've been building a tabletop/wall clock kind of a thing with a
plasma display — think nixies, but square, and arranged in a grid of 100x16
pixels.

For the font I've been mostly using the Darwin kernel font, as it's got
some nice readable digits.
For the menu, though, I've had to resort to the IBM BIOS fonts that I've
had handy — or more precisely, a copy ripped out of the KeyRus program,
since I needed the menu in Russian, and that one happens to comply with
codepage 866.

Now, this morning I accidentally stumbled upon a photo of my long gone Mac
Classic booting up and it hit me: I need to port the Chicago font on this
thing!

However, looking online, it seems there is no dump of that font as a bitmap
plance anywhere — let alone of it's Russian version, which was probably
fairly obscure.

I have an HDD image of that Mac with the respective OS, but typing in an
emulator and screenshotting everything is a bit tedious. Does anyone know
of a way to easily turn a bitmap font from System 7 into something usable
on a modern system, or at least a monospace sprite map?

Best regards

--
// Ak.R.

iOS/Mac/Windows & Web developer
Vaporwave/ambient producer, sound/video engineer

Genjitsu Gadget Lab Member 001
http://genjit.su
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fgenjit.su&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE8x1vuqw3E4Hjfe9lA59Q23-z36Q>