[NTLK] Newton stories missing from Folklore.org

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Mon May 20 08:19:45 PDT 2024

On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 7:03 PM Grant Hutchinson via NewtonTalk
<newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:

> > On May 5, 2024, at 11:45 AM, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
> >
> > I just noticed that the Newton articles are missing from Andy Hertzfeld's
> > Folklore.org site after the migration to the Computer History Museum's
> > hosting infrastructure.
>
> Well, that’s kind of sucky. Why would they do that?
>
> Maybe they wanted to limit the scope of the site to stories about the original Macintosh, but that’s pretty short-sighted for an organization that supposedly supports the “computing past”.

Looking at the updated Folklore.org About page, it looks like they
couldn't run Andy's original Python code on the CHM servers, just
static content, so they implemented a bunch of functionality in
JavaScript. I'm guessing that, like one of Andy's earlier updates to
the Python code, that they just missed that there was a Newton
section. At least, that's the initial benefit of the doubt that I'm
giving them.

> Hopefully you’ll hear something back from CHM.

I haven't heard from them yet, so pinged them again.

> If they don’t want to host those stories anymore, I wonder if we could do the same somewhere else?

Andy was kind enough to license the entire Folklore.org site under the
CC BY-NC 1.0 license, so it can be reproduced with attribution, as
long as it's for non-commercial use.

I've been working on fixing up a utility to pull down copies of sites
from Internet Archive's Wayback Machine and Folklore.org is my guinea
pig. So, hopefully I'll soon have copies to at least post on
<http://mirrors.unna.org/> and also distribute to anyone who wants to
preserve a backup.

On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 3:42 PM Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> That’s awful! If anyone wants to scrape the old site off of Archive.org, I’m all for hosting a pirate version of the site at http://folkl.org. I own the domain and what I had there previously is temporarily taken down.

Thanks, Noah! I'm certainly happy to send you the Folklore.org
archives too. The CC BY-NC license makes it feel less-piratey, but
feel free to slap a Newton pirate flag gif on tharrr, matey!

--
Morgan
---