[NTLK] Chances of Einstein on a Kobo

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Tue Jun 11 02:58:07 PDT 2024

Hi Noah,

there are such wonderful e-readears out there these days, and many of them use the Newton form factor and a pen. In theory, all of them can run NewtonOS just fine. A good paper display is actually very useful with NewtonOS, which displays relatively static graphics and works great with shades of gray or even just B&W.

Einstein OTOH is an emulator and needs a CPU that is much faster than the original MessagePad to be useful. Some of the E-readers have very limited CPUs. I did get Einstein to run on some, but it is quite slow.

I did a little bit of research and found that Kobo readers run on a minimal Linux. I did not find much on sideloading (installing apps that are not sanctioned by the manufacturer), and I got conflicting information on how to control the display.

Maybe the device is too new to have a good hacker scene behind it? Or I am just too distracted to find the obvious?

 - Matthias