[NTLK] Chances of Einstein on a Kobo

Sylvain sylvain at pilet.net
Sun Jun 2 08:53:38 PDT 2024

Hi Noah,

For this model I don't know exactly, but in general, Kobos run under a kind of extra-light « linux" that isn't really a linux. It seems to me that you can inject applications in QT4 or QT5 depending on the model, but you still need to know how to inject these Apps and which ones are compatible, especially as there can't be all the linux libraries installed inside. Kobos is not the best ebook to try this out. The Book Air are better because they run on Android and an apk already exists (in Paul's Git release) and seems to work on some models, I've seen photos on twitter/X but I can't remember where.
With the kobo it's immediately less easy, nobody has tackled the task, especially since kobo blocks “external” Apps. As always, all it takes is one good dev to make it a reality, but few are capable of doing it and even fewer will have the time to do it...

There are also a few small projects to install Linux on certain Kobos, but these are still in the experimental sphere. Especially as you need to open these models to be able to make a physical hack to be able to boot the e-reader on the SD card (so the e-reader must have the SD card option…) In short, it's not easy.

But hope springs eternal. And that would be great indeed!

Sylvain
http://message-pad.net