[NTLK] Removing Password on MP2000

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Wed Apr 3 15:12:30 PDT 2024

On 4/2/2024 10:12 PM, wrote:
>> Did you try doing a reboot?  Press the reset button (quick press not a
> long one) on the back with the card inserted.  Battering Ram Pro should do
> it but I don't ? > think it will work unless the newt is being rebooted.  In
> general you don't want to press the button with a card inserted, but in this
> case it is the only way.  There > have been cases with some cards being
> damaged when inserted while the reset button is pushed.  Apparently it is
> with certain flash cards, but I don't recall if
>> we ever found out exactly which ones would and would not other than the
> Apple branded ones didn't seem to.  I also seem to recall the Intel series
> 2, 2+ and ? > value 100 cards were also okay.
>
>> On second thought there is another way, pull all power and let it sit for
> a few minutes (or even longer).  Then with the card inserted, plug in the
> power and turn > it on.  It should do a full reboot then.
>
>> -Dan
>
> Yes, I have tried rebooting it. It will always activate the package, play
> the crumpling animation and sound... and then just sit there at a black
> screen with the owner information.
>
> I'm going to guess that the compatibility info out there is incorrect, and
> it doesn't work on Newton OS 2.1...
>
> Any other insights? Perhaps other methods?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Brian

Hmm strange.  I have just tried it Einstein and it did the same thing.  Crumples the PIN entry panel then sits there.  I know it has worked for others with 2.1 even eMates.  Very strange.  Turning the newton off and back on still leaves it on that same screen without the PIN entry panel.  I also noticed that if I enter the pin, then insert the card it does stay unlocked.  Tapping on battering ram at that point brings up 3 buttons disable, remove, reveal.  Remove does remove the pin and reveal does show what it is, so I am at a loss why it the newt seems to freeze up.

I also did a dive into the list archives and ran across one guy several years back that had the same problem.  No resolution was ever mentioned though.

I will keep playing with and see if I can figure something out.  The only other thing that I can think of that might work is to use the emergency package to do a backup via desktop then restore all but the userdata/prefs that will leave out the PIN.

I do have the dates fix installed, I wonder if that could be a conflict/problem?

-Dan