[NTLK] Removing Password on MP2000

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Mon Apr 1 18:20:09 PDT 2024

On 4/1/2024 6:27 PM, wrote:
> Just received an MP2000 with a bit of battery damage.
>
> I took it apart, cleaned off the acid, desoldered the battery terminals,
> cleaned it all up. Put it all back together. And it powers up alright!
>
> Sadly, it has a PIN code set up.
>

> A bit of googling pointed me to this utility
> http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/BatteringRamPro
>

> I stuck it on a card, put it into the MP2000 and it activated the package.
> It played a cute little animation where the PIN code entry pad was crumpled
> into a ball and then tossed in a trashcan and then. nothing. Just sits there
> at a screen showing the previous owner's name.
>

> Tried the other utility that's available, "NewtonUnlock". It seems to be
> written for NOS1.0. File modification dates (and copyright) of 1994. Darn.
>

> Any advice here? I'd rather not brainwipe the machine.
>

> Cheers,
>

> -brian
Did you try doing a reboot?  Press the reset button (quick press not a long one) on the back with the card inserted.  Battering Ram Pro should do it but I don't think it will work unless the newt is being rebooted.  In general you don't want to press the button with a card inserted, but in this case it is the only way.  There have been cases with some cards being damaged when inserted while the reset button is pushed.  Apparently it is with certain flash cards, but I don't recall if we ever found out exactly which ones would and would not other than the Apple branded ones didn't seem to.  I also seem to recall the Intel series 2, 2+ and
value 100 cards were also okay.

On second thought there is another way, pull all power and let it sit for a few minutes (or even longer).  Then with the card inserted, plug in the power and turn it on.  It should do a full reboot then.

-Dan