[NTLK] Handwriting Recognition > Options > Letter Shapes

Larry Yaeger larry.yaeger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 00:43:12 PDT 2023

If you're referring to the stuff intended to let you fine tune the recognizer for your own handwriting, that only ever affected the Paragraph recognizer (the original recognizer, later the "Cursive" recognizer).  I doubt anything can be added to that.  And even if it could, it wouldn't affect the "Print" recognizer (Rosetta / Mondello).

If this is just something that's intended to show you how to draw your letters so they'll be better recognized, then I suppose better stroke patterns might teach you to do something the recognizer would be happier with, but it wouldn't affect what either recognizer is doing.

I've never seen anyone draw a lowercase 'y' from the bottom up.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  And it's possible there are even a few samples in the training data.  But I doubt it's common enough to make it especially well recognized in the "Print" recognizer.  If Paragraph used it as one of their templates it could very well help them out to draw it like that.  But I'd be surprised if that was used as a template (or recommended to users).

- larryy