[NTLK] New blood asking the dumb questions :-)

Sebastian from Cornica info at cornica.org
Fri Sep 8 00:24:37 PDT 2023

Hi from the new guy on the list. Exciting to join a mailing list in
2023! Thanks to the admins for keeping it running.

I'm Sebastian aka "Bolkonskij", 41, living in Bavaria / Germany. I
stumbled upon the "Love Notes to Newton" documentary on YouTube, which
brought me here.

Some of you may know me as a long-time Macintosh enthusiast behind the
Quicktime archive cornica.org and being co-admin on System 7 Today (site
about Apple's "boring beige boxes").

I still enjoy (classic) Mac OS on my upgraded Mac IIci and a Mac Mini G4
on a  daily basis. I feel like a Newton would perfectly complement the
setup :-)

Been reading my way through NewtonFAQ.com and found a lot of answers,
but there's some remaining questions.  Besides, it's been 15+ years
since i wrote an e-mail to a mailing list and I just HAVE to do this
again - sorry :-)

1.) I'm heavily leaning towards getting a MessagePad 120 or 130 as my
"entry-level" Newton. I understand OS 2.0 respectively 2.1 is the way to
go due to the improvements and the available software.

What about things like today's price, longetivity, maintainability and
available spare parts? Are either the 120 or 130 a "good pick" in these
regards?

2.) The sources for Newtons listed in the FAQ are pretty U.S.-centric.
Any reliable and affordable sources in Central Europe?

3.) Browsing UNNA I discovered there's some incredibly valuable books
("California Nude Beaches") but I couldn't find something like an .epub
reader. There's none? You guys convert your epubs to HTML first to read
them on the Newton?

Thanks in advance for your helpful answers!

Sebastian aka "Bolkonskij"