[NTLK] [ANN] ICS Newton software now on GitHub

Larry Yaeger larry.yaeger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 23:52:12 PST 2023

Baffling.  I'd be curious to see exactly what "python" and "python3" are invoking.  Don't know about zsh, but in bash try the following and see what it produces compared to my results:

$ builtin type python
python is hashed (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python)

$ builtin type python3
python3 is hashed (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3)

As for the suggestion regarding "false" vs "False", I'm afraid that error message is misleading.  Neither the word "false" nor "False" appears anywhere in the Python script.

I also conjectured maybe it needs a first and last name, but it doesn't.  It just uses whatever intact string you give it.  It does mess with it a little, converting to uppercase and padding it if there are fewer than 10 characters, but there's no parsing it into first and last names.  And just to test your exact case, I tried "ctb" and it worked fine:

$ python ics-newton-codes.py "ctb"
ICS Newton Registration codes for user "ctb":
MultiTask: YXIWMPVQIO
GestureLaunch: OQHNGONSTR
BarKeep: MMOJUNCSLA
WhatToDo: OYLGKWRJRH
Twerx: ZUGLKKQWGL

Result is the same for python3.

I guess you can just use the above if the script continues to fight back on your machine.

- larryy