[NTLK] UNNA Status [Was: New UNNA & mirre torrents]

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sat May 20 18:13:01 PDT 2023

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 12:20 Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 10:27 PM Morgan Aldridge
> <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 8:59 PM Morgan Aldridge
> > <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> used for his servers and is taking far more time to resolve than originally
> anticipated. He indicated that he might be able to fix the issue this
> weekend.
> > >
> > > Thank you for bringing this to my attention and bringing everyone into
> > > the loop, Grant! Unfortunately, I didn't even realize it was down as
> > > long as it was because it was working within my own network, then took
> > > a while to determine why dynamic DNS wasn't working. (Ironically, my
> > > dynamic DNS service expired because my IP address hasn't actually
> > > changed in years. Doh!)
> > >
> > > I have made progress this weekend, but haven't yet completed all the
> > > necessary software upgrades and dynamic DNS migrations. I'll let you
> > > all know when it's back up and running.
> >
> > Due to some familial obligations last weekend, I wasn't able to make
> > further progress, but this weekend I was able to pick things up where
> > I left off. Unfortunately, while there's not much risk of shipfitters'
> > disease on my part, I have uncovered some issues, including major
> > performance issues on the virtual machine host that runs the UNNA
> > server. I've worked on that today too, but haven't quite resolved it
> > and it is slowing progress on addressing the original dynamic DNS
> > issue. I'll see if I can find some hours during the week to work on
> > this, otherwise it might have to wait until next weekend again.
>
> The performance issues on the host that runs the UNNA virtual machine
> turned out to be a failing hard drive. A couple weekends ago I was
> able to source & replace the server hard drive, reinstall the OS, and
> restore the VMs from backups. Since then, I've been working on
> infrastructure updates related to migrating to a new dynamic DNS
> service. That's still been a time consuming project, but I'm
> continuing to make progress.
>
> So, rest assured that the UNNA VM is up & running, but it's just not
> quite publicly accessible yet.

After playing whack-a-mole with various aspects of migration to a new
dynamic DNS service, plus ddclient and reverse proxy configurations, in my
spare time over the past -- oh, yikes! -- month, I believe that UNNA is
_finally_ accessible to the rest of the Internet again!

Please let me know if you still cannot reach <http://www.unna.org/> (no
HTTPS yet, that's a much simpler next step... unless I've jinxed myself.)

Again, _huge_ thanks for your patience,

Morgan

> --
Morgan