[NTLK] A healthy poutine experiment?

Doug ispinn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 20:34:37 PDT 2023

I was wondering how well pasta would work as a substitute for fries in
poutine, so I ran a little experiment: (picture of turkey gravy and pasta
poutine)

https://imgur.com/a/PQLqMNJ

I still have lingering effects of COVID nose and taste, so it wasn't
something I was able to fully appreciated smell-wise and taste-wise. Still,
it was worth the effort.

I think the angel hair is convenient because it cooks up so easily. Even
though I'm mostly vegetarian, if I had to do it again, I'd use a thick beef
stock. The problem is I can't find any beef stock that has no soy in it, so
turkey was the go to of choice this time around. The cheese curds? Those
were real.

By the way, when I'm making the angel hair, I fill a french press beaker
about 3/4 full of water and a dab of olive oil. I use one with a plastic
handle surround that I can use in the microwave. I'll heat the water until
just shy of boiling, put the angel hair pasta in and usually the water gets
hot enough—and the pasta is thin enough—that it easily starts bending and
submerging under the water. Next I give it a few more minutes in the
microwave until just before it boils over three or four times.

Then let it sit for about four minutes, and lastly drain the water.

Doug