[NTLK] OMP AAA battery module worth saving?

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Thu Aug 24 13:56:57 PDT 2023

I also do this and prefer the sled instead of a battery pack.  Also easier on the recharge system in the Newton (since you don't use it).  I also find the newer NiMH batteries (Enloop for example) charge up quick in a modern charger.  Far better than a Newton.  I also keep a set charged for instant swapping. I also can do tests and if one cell goes- bad I don't have to throw out all 4.

The only problem is, some cells are larger than others and don't fit well in the sled.  This is  even a problem with alkalines.  Energizer Max for example are a bit big and barely fit.  I would worry about stressing the plastic long term by using them.

-Dan

On 8/24/2023 2:43 AM, Forrest Buffenmyer wrote:
>  To echo what Dan said:
>
> I’ve rebuilt both eMate and Newton MP2x00 battery packs, the latter several times. I will say the eMate is much much easier to do. I much prefer to just use the AA alkaline battery sled in my Newton, and Nick’s SoftCharge—a Newton app that allows you to select the type of battery you’re using. Most of us use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries that we recharge outside of the Newton, and swap in and out as needed. SoftCharge gives you the correct percentage of battery power remaining for these.
>
> Mahalo,
> Forrest

>> On 8/22/2023 11:56 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have an OMP AAA battery module but it has old batteries in it which are corroded.
>>>
>>> I don't really have time, energy, or hazmat equipment for refurbishing this.
>>>
>>> My question is whether these battery modules for OMP are anywhere near as rare/sought after as the AA battery sleds for 2000/2100, and whether there are people clamoring for them.  My sense is 'no'.
>>>
>>> Thanks
*snip*