[NTLK] OMP AAA battery module worth saving?

NewtonTalk newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Wed Aug 23 03:07:39 PDT 2023

In my opinion attempting to save such a pack isn't worth the effort. They're
pretty fragile and aren't really suited for being taken apart and put
together again. Apart from that, at least in Europe you'll have a hard time
finding AAA size Nickel-Cadmium cells, let alone cells with soldering tabs.
Selling standard size Nickel-Cadmium cells has been forbidden for years over
here. Using Nickel Metal Hydride isn't really an option since the OMP
expects Nickel-Cadmium cells, which need a charge curve that's slightly
different from the curve NiMH cells need.

A much better and easier option is using NiMH cells in an OMP battery holder
and charge those separately. These days, cells like that have at least three
times the capacity that Apple's original cells had, and a decent modern
charger will put way more capacity into them than the OMP's ancient charge
circuitry ever could.

If someone's interested, I still have a couple of OMP/MP100 battery holders
laying around. They are brand new,  unopened and will set you back eight
Euros apiece plus what I pay for stamps. If you take three or more, you
wouldn't have many problems talking me into a discount :-)

Cheers

Frank