[NTLK] MPW Question - MPW command-key for jump to error line in file from Workspace window?

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Sun May 1 14:08:22 PDT 2022

> On 1. May 2022, at 22:56, Jim Witte <jim.witte at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I just un-mothballed by Sheepshaver environment for a bit of "programmer
> fun entertainment" (?!) of maybe actually *finishing* my REALLY old project
> of making the Eckhart Köppen’s MP3 Player work with FAT cards.
>
> (The main problems is how to keep track of allocation block chains when
> they change when files are added/deleted/reallocated by a host system, and
> whether I want to handle that at the level of the MP3 compander or lower at
> the level of the VBO itself so the "samples" VBO is completely
> transparent.  After re-learning how the MAD Max player is structured again.)

Sounds exciting. Digging up old code is always fun.

> Anyway, isn't there a command key equivalent to jump to a line in a file
> for a line in the Workspace when it reports "File: :Driver:TATADriverFSM.cp
> ; line 166.." or something line that?

MPW was never my tool and I never got productive with it. Not sure if this is helpful, but al MPW tools can run under modern macOS/Windows/Linux by wrapping then into the "mosrun" tools:

https://github.com/MatthiasWM/mosrun

So you can use a more modern code editor. NTK can not be emulated though because it has its own UI, but BasiliskII allows you to mount one of your host's directory as a virtual drive in Classic MacOS, so you can jump easily between environments. BasiliskII can also use the host serial port, so the NTK "Toolbox" works just fine, as well as the Hammer debugger.

This probably does not apply so much, Einstein comes with a builtin minimal NewtonScript toolkit. I added some calls to include the binaries from MPW as native functions into a NewtonScript app. You can even write ARM assembler right into your NewtonScript code, and it will become a native function. We don't emulate FAT cards though in Einstein. Only Linear Flash Card are supported.

The documentation is not done yet, and some stuff is still in the GitHub pipeline, but I have already written small programs this way.

 - Matthias