[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 97, Issue 3

Helmut Fischer h_fischer at gmx.de
Tue Jan 4 09:07:13 PST 2022

> Am 03.01.2022 um 21:00 schrieb newtontalk-request at newtontalk.net:
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:39:57 +0100
> From: Matthias Melcher <m.melcher at robowerk.de>
> To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
> Subject: [NTLK] Found the Airplane map system
>
> At the user conference I mentioned a map system for MP2100. I found it:
>
> http://mirrors.unna.org/www.soaring.de/gps/Start_e.html
>
> It reads from GPS modules and has atraveling map. Pretty awesome!
>
> - Matthias

Oh yes, I remember!

I had the freeware version at some time in the late 1990ies on a MP120 or 130. With the help of the detailed instructions provided, I managed to scan a map of my home region, convert it to the right format, calibrate it and transfer it to the Newt (lots of work!). I also had a (my first) handheld GPS, a Garmin GPS12, which I managed to connect to the Newt via the serial port. I still remember driving to work with both devices on the right front seat and seeing the map moving on the screen beyond my position marker. Pretty useless and dangerous, but overwhelming!

Helmut