[NTLK] Localization

NewtonTalk newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Mon Feb 28 10:53:06 PST 2022

> because does it mean that if you don't load any "language" file the
application might not work?

Nope, it doesn't. NewtTest will keep all the internal English strings it has
now. But I would like to extend it in a way that it looks for NewtTest
Language Parts when it starts. If it doesn't find any, it'll use what it has
internally. That way it'll still run on the little RAM e. g. an OMP has. But
if it DOES one or more of those parts, it'll use them. When it is started
for the first time, it will use the language of the ROM, which probably is a
pretty good default, provided that language is installed as a Language part.
It would also allow the user to choose a different language at runtime,
which it would remember when it's started the second time. That way you'd
only have to add a new Language Part if you want to support a new language.

It's weird that Apple didn't provide this in NewtonScript. In my admittedly
unimportant opinion that's the obvious way to do it because you needn't clog
your app with languages nobody wants, and you needn't distribute separate
apps for each supported language. If someone wants a different language, all
he needs to do is download it and install it on his Newton.

Cheers

Frank