[NTLK] "Mobile" power supply for eMate 300

Avi Drissman avi at drissman.com
Tue Aug 23 14:49:56 PDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 3:29 PM Victor Rehorst <victor at chuma.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately Newton devices are real picky and want input pretty much
> no less than 6V and no more than 8V - see the FAQ:
>
> https://newtonfaq.com/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB7
>
> USB-PD negotiation uses those fixed voltages, there's no way to
> negotiate something in between - which is a shame.

There actually is, it's called USB PD PPS, and it allows the device to dial
in a variable voltage. However, it's very new, and hard to find trigger
boards for it.

For something like 7.5V you could build off of
https://myvolts.com/product/39078/Ripcord_USB_to_7.5V_DC_power_cable_compatible_with_the_Casio_ML-2_Keyboard
. I don't know what the socket on the eMate looks like in dimensions or
polarity, but there's your voltage.