[NTLK] "Mobile" power supply for eMate 300

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Tue Aug 23 14:20:05 PDT 2022

> On 24 Aug 2022, at 05:29, Victor Rehorst <victor at chuma.org> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately Newton devices are real picky and want input pretty much no less than 6V and no more than 8V - see the FAQ:
>
> https://newtonfaq.com/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB7
>
> USB-PD negotiation uses those fixed voltages, there's no way to negotiate something in between - which is a shame.

I think it should be possible to create a USB-A charger cable using a DC-DC converter chip.  I think the base spec is 500mA @ 5V but there’s defacto standards for telling the adapter you want more current.

USB-C with PD support has a lot more limited availability but is much more capable. Again, a DC-DC converter will easily adapt the voltage and I think can limit the current as required as well.

A bit beyond my electronics design skills though I’m afraid.