[NTLK] Help with forgotten pin and, separately, resurrecting an upgraded MP2000

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 1 03:04:24 PDT 2022

Hi Brian,

I am interrupting my own lurking to try and help you and your situation.

As for your “dead” Newton—the one the batteries exploded, as I think you put it:

Don’t give up. I am notoriously stubborn on abandoning “lost causes”. But you are likely going to have to perform some surgery.

By now you should be familiar with Franks’ excellent website, http://www.pda-soft.de . Here you will find complete instructions on how to disassemble your Newton. Once apart you will be better able to determine how severe the damage is.

Likely you’ll have to get your hands on a parts Newton which you will cannibalize for those parts. With any luck and some nominal skill you’ll have resurrected it.

I’ve had batteries similarly corrode, and I can tell you that nearly all of the time the only real damage is to the internals of the battery compartment. Still—YMMV.

Good luck and please keep us updated!

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my iPad Pro 9.7"