[NTLK] German OS text properties

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Thu Apr 14 06:14:20 PDT 2022

> On Apr 14, 2022, at 6:48 AM, NewtonTalk <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:
>
>> Another odd thing is that the icon labels are bold on the English side,
>> but plain on the German side. Is this something that occurs with German
>> devices, or is it another emulation anomaly?
>
> This is in fact the expected behavior in a German 2100. After following ´
> Matthias's advice as to deleting Einstein's system flash file, the German
> OS came up in all its beauty, but text was still plain. It's also plain on
> my physical Newton.

This is very interesting. I think I’ll add something about this to the Newton FAQ.

> I'm wondering why they did this. That's much less readable. Maybe because
> German is normally longer than English and they wanted text to fit in one
> line.

That would be my guess.

Several years ago while I was working on the internationalization of some ecommerce websites, we had to replace the default font used for rendered buttons, banners, and headlines (this was before the use of dynamic webfonts for text) with a narrower version, specifically to accommodate the German terms.

g.