[NTLK] Planning to crack Bernie’s BookReader if abandonware. Does anyone else need this app?

Michael Sheflin sheflinm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 05:51:51 PDT 2021

I am not sure you can be prosecuted criminally if there no financial
benefit (to you).  However, to your point, the federal government can
prosecute people without involvement of the copyright holder - probably
just not under these circumstances.

Otherwise, the financial argument Forrest raised is a compensation of a
fair use defense.  However, courts may not be thrilled that the entire
source code will have been used.  Fair use - as an archetype - would be
like borrowing a snippet of copyrighted text to use in a non-commercial,
educational presentation.

As I noted before, with no comment from anyone - that I saw, Bernie appears
to be dead, sadly.  It seems unlikely permission will be given.