[NTLK] Apple Newton VideoPad prototype axed by Steve Jobs heads to auction block | AppleInsider

Grant Hutchinson newtontalkmessages at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 21:40:52 PDT 2021

> On Oct 22, 2021, at 10:24 PM, Michael Sheflin <sheflinm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Uh... if memory serves from Defying Gravity, which I got in 1998 along with
> my MP 120, an early prototype of Newton was an LCD screen that was maybe
> 12-14" and it ran on 13 C batteries.

There were several larger screen Newton prototypes ... I own two of them. The “Cadillac” (1992) and the “Bic” (1994). They were built earlier in the Newton’s lifecycle, not towards the end of the era in 1998. There was also an unreleased, large screen version of the Original MessagePad (“Junior”) named “Senior”. None of these devices had anything in common with the VideoPad concept, other than a larger screen and the aforementioned “Pad” moniker.

The device you’re mentioning from Defying Gravity (or “Graviity” as it’s printed in the spine) is likely either the Cadillac or Senior prototype.

https://newtonglossary.com/terms/bic
https://newtonglossary.com/terms/cadillac
https://newtonglossary.com/terms/senior

g.