[NTLK] God Bless you, Simon Bell!

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Wed May 5 19:11:00 PDT 2021

So, on a whim, I attempted to connect my MacBook Pro that was recently upgraded to macOS 11, Big Sur, with my Newton. I know there have been reports from some that they've accomplished this, but I was very skeptical. Big Sur has gained an early reputation of not wanting to play well with others, so I had my doubts.

My last MacBook Pro (mid 2009) had El Capitan (10.11) and would NOT connect--the NCX app had a circle with slash. Again, I was not hopeful I would have any better luck now.

I went to NewtonResearch and downloaded NCX--this time, no slash! I bypassed Apple's security feature that would not allow me to open it, Soon I was looking at the NCX connection window.

Now, to connect. I recalled from other posts on NTLK that my Keyspan adapter would likely not work (I am going to test it anyway). Along with the PC to Newton cable from the Newton NCU kit, which is a DB-9 female connector to an Apple round 9-pin connector like what's found on an original Apple modem or printer serial cable, I have an ATEN serial adapter, USB to DB-9 male, from Iogear--GHC-232A. It's been YEARS since I was able to connect this way.

First attempt--nothing. I had verified the MBP "saw" the adapter in System Information (ATEN International Co., Ltd. by Prolific Technology Inc., v3.0, Product ID 0x2008). Then I realized I had to set the Newton's connection speed to 115,200 to match NCX.

I clicked the CONNECT button and--there on the Newton's screen were the four tiny icons of NCX (Backup, Install Package, Import and Keyboard). My Newton's Information appeared in a window on my MacBook Pro.

YAY! It worked. I cobbled together things that had worked before, then stopped, for some reason. I was honestly quite surprised--and quite pleased.

I backup up my Newton, then did a ROM dump for Einstein. Next up--connecting the eMate.

God Bless you, Simon Bell!
Mahalo,
Forrest
--