[NTLK] Trimming the reply cruft [Was: Anyone heard from Steve Weyer recently?]

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Mon Mar 8 22:33:21 PST 2021

> On Mar 5, 2021, at 12:12 PM, Forrest <newton_phoenix at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> Time for me to chime in again and PLEASE ask that, when we are replying to messages, we TRIM AWAY the cruft of the OLD messages in the thread.

This is part of standard mailing list etiquette and is documented in the NewtonTalk FAQ:

<https://github.com/splorp/newtontalk-faq/blob/master/newtontalk-faq.md>

If that link is munged up, here’s the appropriate text from the FAQ:

“When quoting, be very careful to edit the quoted sections down to the bare minimum of text needed to maintain the context for your reply. There is very little on a mailing list that is more annoying than paging through a few pages of quoted text only to read a few lines at the end.”

> ... Grant and Victor (the original List Dad) can correct me on this, but NTLK was originally specifically designed for this purpose, which is why no images can be imbedded in the messages. (I think I recall reading that somewhere years ago.)

This is correct.

Again, from the FAQ:

“The list software automatically strips away HTML and rich text formatting from messages. The list software also strips attached files from messages. All messages are delivered as plain text to maintain compatibility with even the most basic email clients.”

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Interweb Custodian