[NTLK] 3.5-inch Floppy Drive Recommendation

Alan Grassia alan.grassia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 06:54:30 PDT 2021

Hello Newton Friends,

I’m looking for recommendations on new or used 3.5-inch USB floppy drives to convert Newton software Mac OS floppy disks into Disk Copy 4.x images.  The drive will primarily be used with vintage Power Mac G3 and G4 hardware.  As a bonus, it would be nice if the drive also worked with modern USB-A and USB-C (via a USB-C to USB-A dongle) Macs.

My recollection is that Imation drives worked well.  I don’t have any experience with the new floppy drives being sold on Amazon.

Any suggestions on what floppy drives are working well for you?

Cheers,

Alan Grassia

MessagePad, MessagePad 2000, MessagePad 2100, eMate 300

Website: http://blog.smartphonefanatics.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/alanmgrassia

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alangrassia