[NTLK] Newton Connection 2.0 Crashing Under Classic Mac OS 9.2.1 on PowerMac G4

Alan Grassia alan.grassia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 18:49:58 PDT 2021

Hello Newton Friends,

I wanted to follow up on this thread to let everyone know what ended up working for me.  Hopefully, this information will be helpful to another Newton newcomer.

Thanks Woody and Matej for your suggestions about making sure I was using the correct version of Newton Connect Kit (NCK) [Newton OS 1.x] / Newton Connection Utilities (NCU) [Newton OS 2.x], having the serial adapter connected, and, in my case, having NCU open in Mac OS 9 first.

To recap, I am using a Power Macintosh G4 Quicksilver (2001) booted into Classic Mac OS 9.2.1 with a Newton MessagePad 2000 running Newton OS 2.1 (711000)-1.

I connected the Newton to the Power Mac using the Newton Interconnect dongle, an Apple Serial cable (mini DIN 8 Male - mini DIN 8 Male), and a beige Keyspan USA-28 Twin Serial to USB-A Adapter.  I needed the correct driver for the USA-28 driver, which I found on Macintosh Garden (https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/keyspan-usa-28).  Just for fun, I trashed the Newton Connection software and reloaded a fresh install of Newton Connection Utilities v1.0 from the UNNA.org archive (http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtilities).

To initiate the connection between the Newton and the Mac:

1. Plug in the USB-A to mini DIN 8 seral adapter
2. Plug in one end of the mini DIN 8 serial cable into the port 1 on the adapter
3. Launch NCU (Newton OS 2.x) or NCK (Newton OS 1.x)
4. In the NCU Preferences box, I checked all the connection types
5. Plug in the serial cable (and Newton Interconnect adapter for MessagePad 2×00)
6. On the MessagePad or eMate, tap the Dock icon, select Serial, and tap Connect

I have a longer version of my efforts to connect my Newton MessagePad to my Power Mac on my blog (http://blog.smartphonefanatics.com/connecting-a-newton-to-a-power-mac-running-mac-os-9/).

Cheers,
Alan Grassia

MessagePad, MessagePad 2000, MessagePad 2100, eMate 300

Website: http://blog.smartphonefanatics.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/alanmgrassia
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alangrassia