[NTLK] Battery Packs and Battery Trays

Alan Grassia alan.grassia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 15:46:12 PDT 2021

Hello Forrest and Newton Friends,

Thanks again for the encouraging words, Forrest!  I appreciate it.  You and the other kind folks here have encouraged me to repair both an eMate and and OMP!

I saw that Frank Gründel has rebuild directions on his website (https://www.pda-soft.de/hardware.html) for eMate and MP 2x00 packs.  (And the MP 110, 120, and 130.)  I just haven't gotten up the nerve to try and cut one open.

I have one AA tray that came with my MP 2000 and a battery pack that isn't holding a charge that came with my eBay MP2100 (upgraded MP 2000 by Apple).

I agree about the eMate.  From all of the reading that I have done, it was just the rechargeable pack.  Mine's not holding a charge, so at some point, if I want to show it off at my local Apple store, I'll need to attempt the rebuild.

The OMP, from a couple of repair videos that I have seen, does have a 4x AAA battery tray.  You can see one in Colin's This Does Not Compute - Fixing a Common (and Inevitable) Apple Newton Problem video (https://youtu.be/gH15tMUMUcU) starting at 5 min and 8 sec.  Someone as already reached out to me directly from this list with a private offer to buy one.  Thanks again to that person.  I appreciate the offer.

Cheers,
Alan Grassia

OMP, MP 2000, MP 2100, eMate 300

Website: http://blog.smartphonefanatics.com