[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 86, Issue 14

Mark Kuberski berskyboy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 08:52:51 PST 2021

Hi Mathais,

I have the working copy that might have been the branch from a while ago.  I made some changes to it to make is run as follows:

—————

Hello Everyone,
I was able to successfully build Einstein for iOS by following these instructions:
If nothing else, I can confirm that simply commenting out the ROM patch in
line 332 of
Emulator/Serial/TBasicSerialPortManager.cp
eliminates the problem and makes the system boot normally again:
//TJITGenericPatchFindAndReplace gEnableSerialPort(0x00800634, 0x00900000,
//(KUInt32[]){2, 'extr', 0},
//(KUInt32[]){1, '~xtr'},
//“Enable 'extr' serial port.\n");

That you can find here:
https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein/issues/53#issuecomment-393250708 <https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein/issues/53#issuecomment-393250708>
I actually deleted the lines altogether. After doing this I had a successful build (although with many errors) and
was able to install Einstein on my iPad Pro. I will be uploading some videos of how Einstein preforms on the Onyx Boox Nova Pro and iPad later.
Cheers, Igor

So with this version I wonder if I can ADD the PCMCIA support that you are adding to your current copy?  I can also try and run and compile your matt2020 version and see if I can get it to compile and launch.  I’m really excited to be able to add PCMCIA cards, (basically MORE data to Einstein.).
Failing ALL that, could it be possible to UP the RAM on Einstein to say 16MB versus the 8MB currently?
Another thing, I’ve been watching videos to get up to speed on Xcode and the like, is Einstein built from C++ from scratch, or is is just running in an emulated way from a kernel added?  Like for instance all the functionality of the Newton Screen, the folders, the trash can, was that all made from scratch, or was it from an image or emulated file of Newton OS?
And is there a difference between Objective C and C++?
Thanks,
I think getting my feet wet into Xcode is a good COVID hobby!  ;)

Mark