[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 86, Issue 8

Ionos: robowerk.de m.melcher at robowerk.de
Sun Feb 14 01:23:35 PST 2021

On 2/12/2021 5:40 PM, Mark Kuberski wrote:
> On your point of the iOS Development.  Is someone else keeping up that development?  If no one is doing it, I could learn it.  What language is it?

Einstein is written in C++. The Emulator has no platform specific code.
Everything that needs to be ported is in separate files (drivers). If a
feature can't be ported, Einstein will use a default driver that does
nothing (for example sound on E-Ink devices).

You would need to refresh the iOS App frmaework (everything memeory and
file management, timers, threads, locks) and the user interface (screen,
settings, etc.)

> Xcode? Swift?  Would the code you are using work with the iOS development?  For example, if I took your code, could I tweak it for iOS development?

Yes.

> I would have thought the development for Mac OS would be the same or similar to iOS, in that you would use the Xcode environment.

Pauls code uses native environments for each platform (Cocoa on Mac, X11
on Linux) which is cool, but the "unloved" platform alwys gets fixed
last (X11 for example only runs from the command line and has no
keyboard support). My branch (matt2020) uses FLTK for all this. FLTK is
like a tiny version of Qt and manages the entire User Interface in a
transparent way, so I don't have to.

FLTK does not run on iOS though. The iOS code is still in my branch, but
I have not tried to compile it in ages.

The Android port is a hybrid in this respect. FLTK does not support
Android, but all the knowledge I gather from porting EInstein to Android
goes right into FLTK. Ideally, in a year, FLTK will run on Android (I am
half way there!), which in turn will make the matt2020 brnach run on
Android including settings dialog, Monitor, and even Toolkit.

If you could port FLTK to iOS, well that would be a thing... ;-)