[NTLK] PCMCIA for the brave...

Ionos: robowerk.de m.melcher at robowerk.de
Fri Feb 12 16:19:08 PST 2021

Allrighty everyone. I released a BETA2 v2020.4.9 of Einstein for testing
PCMCIA Flash Memory cards (or PC Cards).

The link is as usual http://messagepad.org/Newton_Installs.html . Sorry,
no Linux version yet.

Thank to Sylvain and Pawel who have been sending me memory dumps from
their Flash cards. I had plenty of data to test with, and most of the
Flash cards are now working. The ROM cards are not, but I am sure I will
eventually find out what's going on.

Even if you don't have a PCCard or a PCCard Image, you can still test
the new feature. Note though: you can use the cards, but everything you
write will be forgotten when you close Einstein. In the final release,
this will obviously be fixed.

The release version will also have some function to download Card Images
from a MesssagePad more easily.

Choosing a PCCard works either through the [Platform > PC Card Slot 0]
pulldown menu, or by clicking on the "Insert Card" icon and then
choosing a card from that pulldown menu.

You can create new cards, or link .pccard files that you previously
created, or create .pccard images from aforementioned memory snapshot.
Just open the "Settings" dialog and select the "PC Cards" tab. You will
find a "+" button to add cards, a "-" cards to remove them from the
list, up and down buttons to sort the list, and a "..." button to edit
aspects of a selected card.

Have fun,

  - Matthias