[NTLK] MP 2X00: A new kind of Duracell battery?

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Sat Aug 28 10:28:40 PDT 2021

Nothing bad for a Newton except if they leak or won't fit.  I have found some that are 'tighter' than others.  I also prefer Eneloop batteries, but I often find myself using Energizer rechargeables.  They are cheap at Sam's Club.  Never had a problem with them.  Yes they don't last as long (charge cycle wise) compared to Eneloop, but they are 'good enough'.  They are a little tighter in the sled than Eneloop but not enough to make me worry about using them.

Oh one thing that should be mentioned, sometimes if the batteries totally die you either need a AC adapter or a set of alkalines to get the Newt to power up again.  Or let it sit a few days without power will do it as well.  No harm done, just a little annoying.  So I suggest replacing them with a fresh set once you get the low battery warning.

Oh and ... feeling like Colombo here... just one more thing ... install and use Nick's Soft Charge.  It will give you a option in prefs to set the battery type making the battery gauge accurate.  Otherwise it will assume you have alkalines installed, meaning the calibration of the battery gauge will be off by quite a bit.  While it still will work, the low battery warning will come up long before they are actually low.

-Dan