[NTLK] MessagePad 2x00 Interconnect plugs

Ionos: robowerk.de m.melcher at robowerk.de
Thu Apr 22 18:44:42 PDT 2021

On 4/23/2021 12:42 AM, Michael Sheflin wrote:
> Could I have the final dimensions, I'm having trouble understanding how
> your sanded down connector is 12mm x 3.6mm, which should be much longer and
> thinner, no?
>
> The specs I found don't have useful information.  (
> http://www.n-1.nl/newton/interconnect.html), and I don't see a systematic
> explanation of things like pin length/contact width, also.

The connectors are more than twice as long as the actual port. You have
to pull a few pins out of the connector and then cut it to length. No
big deal, it's a soft plastic.

If left like that, it's a pretty strong fit in the interconnect port, so
don;t plug it in, or you may have trouble pulling it back out. Sanding
down the sides will make it fit more easily. If you can solder well, you
can attach wired to the pins, but they are only one millimeter apart and
must not short out!

As for the interconnect technical drawings, I could not find any. I just
tried these plugs and they seem to work. We will see how reliable the
actual connection is.

So I just created a circuit board and ordered it from China. It's a
so-called breakout board for the serial port 0. The output contacts are
at the standard 0.1 inch raster, and you can experiment with jumper
wires (many USB-to-TTL converters already come with jumper plugs).

If I made no mistakes creating the board, I'll be happy to solder a
handfull to hacked connectors, so you don't have to do it. If everything
works well, I can make more breakout boards for the modem port or even
for audio (if that makes sense).

I will make a video on how to assemble such an adapter when the circuit
boards arrive.

  - Matthias