[NTLK] MessagePad 2x00 Interconnect plugs

Ionos: robowerk.de m.melcher at robowerk.de
Wed Apr 21 07:34:40 PDT 2021

Hmm, I think I found a matching plug for the MP2x00 Interconnect Port.
It involves a little bit of cutting in filing, but the plug itself is
available for a few bucks and still mass-produced.

I searched through the catalogs of Farnell, RS, and all the other
electronics suppliers I could find, and lo and behold, there is *one*
plug that fits perfectly, except it's too long. But it's nothing a knife
couldn't fix.

The Molex 71439-1164 Mezzanine plug has not only the very rare 1mm
pitch, the somewhat rare parallel configuration vs. stacked, it even has
the required depth, with, and pin distance.

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/pcb_receptacles/0714391164

This is the dongle and the receptable on the MP side:

http://messagepad.org/Downloads/20210421_151608.jpg

This is the Molex plug:

http://messagepad.org/Downloads/20210421_152259.jpg

Filed down to size:

http://messagepad.org/Downloads/20210421_151650.jpg

And snugly plugged into the MessagePad port:

http://messagepad.org/Downloads/20210421_151739.jpg

All the pins make contact.

The port provides power for external devices, takes power for charging,
even has audio in and out (mono), and two serial ports for NCU over USB,
debugging, a modem (ESP32 wifi connection, for example), keyboards, and
whatever else the heart desires. All without opening the message pad!

Hope to see a few noew hardware projects evolve from this ;-) . I know I
will build myself a USB adapter for sure!

  - Matthias