[NTLK] Extracting PKG Files from a Newton? (Newton Game, Book, and Font)

apenultimate apenultimate at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:42:21 PDT 2026


Hi All,

So, in the distant past, I created a few Newton items:

--A greek font called NewtGreek

--A book of Hesiod's Hymn to Dionysus, with original text in Greek (using NewtGreek) and a translation as well as copious introductory text setting the context of the story, in NewtonBook format.

--A game called SpeedBump (beta 1), which is essentially a version of the card game Mille Bornes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Bornes> (look it up in Wikipedia if the link doesn't work) where you play against your Newton to win multiple 700 or 1000 mile races to eventually try to win a tournament, the trophy of which goes to the first one to gain 5000 points.  The game is fully playable as it stands (even in beta 1 version), with the exception of the Delayed Action victory condition (I have implemented all others).

The only known bug in SpeedBump beta 1 is that in some rare circumstances a memory leak develops which crashes the app.  I was never able to track it down, but that was long, long ago.  Still, I've recently been playing it on my Newtons and it works fine--fully playable in general.

I no longer have the original Mac that these were developed on (although I may have the hard disk that was in the computer), and these packages ONLY currently exist on a few working Newtons, to my knowledge.

*Is there a way to export or extract these packages from a Newton to a Mac or PC currently?  If so, what exactly would be the process for doing that?*

I'd like to distribute these again to those still using Newtons or Newton emulators.  Once I have them extracted, I'll need to find a place to host them, as unlike in the past, I currently do not have a website.  But, first things first.

--Idomeneus


More information about the NewtonTalk mailing list