[NTLK] Simulating the Newton
DoctorClu
doctorclu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 19:09:37 PDT 2026
This is pretty cool being able to run a Newton package in a stand alone
window.
It is like the old Bender saying from Futurama, though slightly modified...
"Oh yeh... we'll have nBattleship, and Newton emu, and notes.... on
second thought, forget the Newton emu and notes!!"
Pretty cool. Wouldn't mind seeing a standalone of NewtHack. Or Bricks. :D
Hmmmm... thinking further, could a package and supporting packages be
bundled? I really like "The Message" bible program and still use it a
lot. The Message with all the supporting packages for three
translations would be nice.
Greg / "Doc Clu"
*Matthias Melcher* m.melcher at robowerk.de
<mailto:newtontalk%40newtontalk.net?Subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BNTLK%5D%20Simulating%20the%20Newton&In-Reply-To=%3CB80EBA3A-8628-48C9-9BF4-76930598231F%40robowerk.de%3E>
/Mon Sep 28 17:53:20 PDT 2026/
* Previous message: [NTLK] Playing with PCMCIA to USB Adaptors
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/004035.html>
* Next message: [NTLK] Simulating the Newton
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/004037.html>
* *Messages sorted by:* [ date ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/date.html#4036>
[ thread ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/thread.html#4036>
[ subject ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/subject.html#4036>
[ author ]
<https://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2026-September/author.html#4036>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Folks,
in the last days since publishing "newtc", the Newton Script loader-compiler-debugger Swiss Army Knife, I was able to add some functionality. Ah well, Claude and I did.
So I added some graphics calls and some GUI elements. The result is a subset of all the widgets and functionality that NewtonOS has, but in native modern C++ code running at full speed on modern desktop machines.
I more or less randomly chose one package I had laying around and linked it to "newtc". This is not about the game itself (I do like it though), it's just a tech demo.
Here is the result. Please do not distribute.
https://github.com/MatthiasWM/VSNewt/releases/download/v0.2.0/nBattleship-1.4-macOS.zip
https://github.com/MatthiasWM/VSNewt/releases/tag/v0.2.0
Runs on Intel and Apple Silicon macOS 13 Ventura and newer.
- Matthias
PS: for best results, make the Apple Casual font available on you machine. Future version will have built-in fonts. If anyone has good looking license free vector fonts that we could use, please let me know.
PPS: no mobile devices version yet, no sound, and many other features missing
PPPS: will it run other packages? It might, but it is currently very limited.
More information about the NewtonTalk
mailing list