[NTLK] Playing with PCMCIA to USB Adaptors

DoctorClu doctorclu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 13:49:12 PDT 2026


Hello all,

As announced by Matthias earlier this month, Einstein now reads and 
works with ATA PCMCIA card images at least made by Apple's Disk 
Utility.  Had lots of success using my Powerbook G4 15" with PCMCIA 
slot.  I wanted to test other options for other people wanting to try 
the new Einstein ATA trick.

I picked up the "USB 2.0 to 68 pin ATA PCMCIA Flash Disk Memory Card 
Reader Adapter Converter " 
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/313837007426?_skw=pcmcia+card+to+usb&itmmeta=01M3MSDPWN1WH723EKMN8V3WE0&hash=item491224b242:g:qPwAAOSwBz1h5TGp&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAA0LB2JXbe%2Bh2pdWBqbR2c2DsYvH4wj%2B1h201mvu3GWEaDii%2BQNO%2BaeTSc0hNvR%2F1Oxqj1%2BZ7V8IoTmWs46dzxSX0MLiOrR1sVfqEYLz4TiMSgz7MBkRBvXpumU0MqJtQZGbFUACoi9d%2FzaPT1mlEtLps4UCEpZgDinK%2BrKjMC95S%2Fp0JYO1INow%2BJqnHxNSMmCAaTVnCVq8%2BEDNAft%2FoP44lyUSQx8X4etDi2Dy2CPnC877mxSV8o9if1lTj8kZ61G92oTRrxHizOaoR2rJPN6Mc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8TutpmdaA> 


https://www.ebay.com/itm/313839655411

And the other variety of this USB adaptor currently on eBay looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/306499824785

The first one when I got it looked solid enough.  Apparently Macs of the 
OS X era do not have a built in driver that picked up this device.   On 
a read, it appears "WINDOWS 7,WIDOWS XP,WINDOWS 2000,WINDOWS VISTA and 
WINDOWS ME system, no need to Install driver, but in WINDOW98 or other 
old systems need to."

Truthfully, I would love to find that windows 98 driver, that would at 
least be something.  Anyway, if you are a Windows user, great.  So far I 
have not found a PCMCIA to USB driver for Macintosh computers.

And I invite those that know of a Mac driver to please share here.

Thanks,

Greg / "Doc Clu"


More information about the NewtonTalk mailing list