[NTLK] Einstein: new release - ATA Image Support

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Tue Sep 22 02:38:28 PDT 2026


Thanks for that great feedback and for trying out the new feature and get it to work. I am very happy that this is useful. 

I had never used the ATA driver myself. What a great piece of software! Great quality. And my thanks to DoctorClu for suggesting this feature. 


> On 22. Sep 2026, at 02:26, DoctorClu <doctorclu at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> The test ATA images we worked with were created in Disk Utility on a PowerBook G4.  The one I have has a PCMCIA port.  I have not tinkered with the PC world just yet.
> 
> Put in the card.  Select the ATA card name, go up to "File > New > Disk image from Disk1
> 
> The "Convert Image" box comes up.  Change the name to whatever you want.  Make sure the Image Format is "read/write" and encryption "none".   Takes no time at all to create images, I've created from 5 mb to 64 mb.
> 
> Once you have the *.dmg file in the folder where you have the card images for Einstein, select the information on it (speaking from a Mac perspective), get the info on the image, and make sure to erase the .dmg portion of the name and have the .ata at the end of the file name.  Usually change that in the "name & Extension" field.
> 
> From there as Matthias says, select at Einstein startup under "PC Cards" the "+", then add existing Linear or ATA image.  Select the image you created, go through the steps after that.  In some versions there might be a save command, or Start.  Once Einstein is up, under the PCCards select the ATA image, make sure the ATA drivers are installed, and it should work with it from there.



More information about the NewtonTalk mailing list